On 2013-07-02, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Jul 2013 15:16:15 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> The PARTUUID= parition specifier format is handled directly by kernel
>> code, so I don't see why it should require an initrd (unless the UUID
>> values for MBR partitions aren't actually something the kernel knows
>> about and are something made up from whole cloth by the blkid program)
>
> MBRs don't have PARTUUIDs do they? Don't confuse them with filesystem
> UUIDs as used in fstab.

No, blkid does not print a "PARTUUID" value with an MBR. In only prints
"UUID" values, which as you noted, are _filesystem_ UUIDs.  If you
want to use a filesystem UUID to locate the root partition, you need
an initramfs/initrd which contains an 'init' program that finds the
filesystem with the specified UUID, mounts that filesystem, and then
does a root_pivot.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Hello.  Just walk
                                  at               along and try NOT to think