On 2013-07-02, Bruce Hill <da...@happypenguincomputers.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 02:42:15PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
>>
>>> You don't need to switch to GPT for that. I have a DOS partitioned disk and
>>> "blkid" prints the LABEL and UUID for each partition.
>>
>> And you can pass those values to the kernel via  the "root=" parameter?
>
> That still requires an initrd/initramfs, iirc.

The PARTUUID= parition specifier format is handled directly by kernel
code, so I don't see why it should require an initrd (unless the UUID
values for MBR partitions aren't actually something the kernel knows
about and are something made up from whole cloth by the blkid program)

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! ... I have read the
                                  at               INSTRUCTIONS ...