on 07/10/2013 09:38 AM Martin Vaeth wrote the following:
> Thanasis <thana...@asyr.hopto.org> wrote:
>>
>> So, if I understand correctly, I _don't_ need any settings, and I should
>> remove both KEEP_VIRTUALS and REMOTE_DEFAULT, and just use the -R option
>
> You don't need KEEP_VIRTUALS.
> Whether you prefer REMOTE_DEFAULT or not is up to you.
>
> This has nothing to do with the necessity to call "eix-remote add"
> after eix-sync: Otherwise your local portage tree will not get
> "pushed" to the remote database /var/cache/eix/remote.eix
>
> If you do not use REMOTE_DEFAULT, it is only less likely
> that you will notice this since you will then see the outdated
> local data only if you use -R  ;)

Martin, I appreciate your help, but I am still confused about the whole
<eix> thing.
My goal is to be able to query both local and remote data with one
command. To this end, what should the simplest configuration settings
be, and in relation to those settings, what would the sequence of
commands be for updating and then querying?