On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 20:59:49 -0400, Michael Crute wrote:

> > Incorrect. Flash memory only has a limited write lifetime, treating it
> > like a hard drive will kill it in no time.

> Hmm... I had no idea (story of my life). About what is the lifetime of
> one of these little guys?

Around 100,000 writes.

> However, you're in luck. There is a distro for flash drives that is
> based
> > on GNOME, Flash Linux. The author gave a presentation on it at the UK
> > Gentoo meeting earlier this year. See http://flashlinux.org.uk/

> Well, SLAX runs from a thumbdrive too. The thing is that I have gotten
> spoiled by my Gentoo box that runs only what I want and I want to have
> my own "custom linux". How bad would it be for the drive if I just ran
> Linux off of it (read only)? I would install gentoo on a real hard disk
> first and then copy the partition over the the flash disk. Would this
> be a suitable solution?

Running from  a pendrive, be it SLAX or DSL, is fine, because the drive
is read-only. It's when you start writing repeatedly to the drive, as
you would a hard disk, that the problems start.

I didn't state that you cannot put Gentoo on a flash drive, in fact I
stated the opposite. I was disagreeing with the OP's question "I assume
it could be treated like a regular hard drive, correct?".

--
Neil Bothwick

WinErr 01B: Illegal error - You are not allowed to get this error.
            Next time you will get a penalty for that.