[EMAIL PROTECTED] schreef:
> i upgrade my system to use udev instead of previously known devfs,
> and leave the devfs option blank while configure the kernel, but
> recently, i found i could not mount my cdrom, there is no such device
>  at all! the /dev/cdrom and the like has gone!
>
> i test with my usb disk, and the /dev/ directory could add and remove
>  the sda1 device node accordingly, it seems that everything goes
> well. but where is my cdrom?
>
> i have changed the /etc/conf.d/rc, and replace
> RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="yes" with RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="no"  several days
> ago, because i think that'll be ok for me, and everything seems
> working with the exception of the cdrom i found today!
>
> the rule file under the etc/udev/rules.d/ makes no sense to me,
>
> any ideas please, thanks a lot.

/dev/cdrom (or in my case, /dev/cdrom, /dev/cdrw, and /dev/dvd) are just
symlinks to the real device anyway.

The real device is hd* (in my case, 'hdc', because the CD/DVD drive is the
master on the second IDE channel, as my hard drive is hda because it's
master on the first channel).

So maybe try looking for the actual device, instead of a symlink (which
has apparently been removed), and see if that gets you any further.

HTH,
Holly