Michael Orlitzky <mich...@orlitzky.com> writes:

> On 08/02/2013 08:22 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
>>
>> Now, is it reasonable to install that way?  Will I run into some
>> horrible unsightly mess using git, when installed this way.
>>

> Without USE=perl, you'll get a surprise if you try to `git add -i`.

Well, I do have perl installed so if its just a matter of having perl
available then wouldn't it still work?

-------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------
Marc Joliet <mar...@gmx.de> writes:

[...]

Harry wrote:
>> Now, is it reasonable to install that way?  Will I run into some
>> horrible unsightly mess using git, when installed this way.

Marc replied:
> I think that depends entirely on how exactly you plan on using git,
> for example:
>
> - "python" and "perl" seem to control additional python and perl packages, but
>   they are also used by some commit hooks and scripts
> - tk is required for the gitk GUI (which is useful for browsing history)
> - gpg is required for gpg commit signing
> - cvs and subversion are only needed for the "git-cvs" and "git-svn" commands
>
> Otherwise, I'm not entirely sure what you would be missing through such, uh,
> "radical" minimalism ;) ; "equery uses git" is your friend for some of the
> other flags, e.g., curl is required for http[s]:// repository URLs.

Thanks for the walkthru... My main reason to install git is to clone
sources for emacs and gnus... emacs actually uses bazaar, but there is
a git mirror of the bazaar repo.

Wang Xuerui <idontknw.w...@gmail.com> writes:

> 2013/8/3 Harry Putnam <rea...@newsguy.com>:
>> Hehe, alright, now we're talking.... that reduced dependancies to just
>> 1 lonesome cpio.
>>
>> Now, is it reasonable to install that way?  Will I run into some
>> horrible unsightly mess using git, when installed this way.
>
> IIRC you only have to do USE="-perl" and most dependencies will be
> gone... I distantly recall the last time I installed git on one of my
> server nodes most packages pulled in was in the form virtual/perl-*
> and perl-*/*, i.e. CPAN packages.
>
> However, according to the ebuild, you need USE="perl" set if you want
> to enable subversion support or something funnier like CGI, so you'd
> probably have to consider this whole thing a little bit more before
> drawing your conclusion...

OK, makes sense.  So given that my main (probably only) use of git is
to access devel brances of emacs and gnus... maybe a few other things.

That might entail backing out a particularly buggy version for an
earlier one or such.

And that I will actually only 'lightly' be using git for its intended
version control purpose. I will be doing my own version control of a
few scripts and etc with mercurial, and mercurial shows no deps
whatever with:

  emerge -vp mercurial