2013/8/13 Canek Peláez Valdés <can...@gmail.com>

> I think it's a great experiment, but perhaps too much work for little
> gain, at least currently.
>
> Thank you!

> The next council meeting will vote if separated /usr without and
> initramfs is officially supported by Gentoo; I hope this time around
> finally is officially and unequivocally stated by the council that a
> separated /usr without an initramfs is *NOT* supported.

As I see from
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/meeting-logs/20130813.txt, the
council has stated that it is not supported anymore.

The usr-merge will be a slow, gradual change; it will probably take
> years. The systemd package entered the tree in June 2011, after more
> than a year in an overlay, and then it took more than two years to
> make it an official alternative to OpenRC. The /usr merge will take a
> similar amount of time, if not longer.
>
> Yes, but systemd is a large important package and it requires changes to
startup files in other packages, so, it took a lot of time.

As the opposite, /usr merge is easier and, IMHO, it doesn't introduce any
_obvious_ problems to Gentoo.

2013/8/16 Daniel Campbell <li...@sporkbox.us>

> Red Hat is only upstream for GNOME and systemd. What they choose to do
> with their distro should not affect the choices of any other distro. I
> see no reason for a /usr merge unless one is using Fedora or wants to
> turn their Gentoo installation into a makeshift Fedora installation.
> This merge should not be forced on Gentoo whatsoever.

I would like to ask you to understand my intension. I believe that Gentoo
is a distro that is famous for providing choises (USE flags and so on).
/usr merge is also a choise, and I look for volunteers and supporters.
BTW, /usr merge is not just a Fedora's caprice: is is done in Arch this
year:
https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2012-March/022625.html

Sincerely,
Alessio Ababilov