On 19/08/2013 19:03, Yohan Pereira wrote:
> On 19/08/13 at 09:36pm, William Kenworthy wrote:
>> So why not a profile so those guys who want to play can get a
>> configuration that better suits them? - and vice versa if the whole
>> systemd push dies and Redhat drops it as I doubt anyone else big enough
>> will pick it up (they have a foot in both camps at the moment).  Smaller
>> distros that jump entirely systemd will be in trouble until they move back.
>
>   Not a systemd supporter in any way but I don't think making a profile
> makes sense because we already have profiles for kde, gnome, desktop
> etc. Users will probably want to use systemd in-conjunction with any one
> of those, so we would need to have kde-systemd, gnome-systemd .. which
> is absurd.
>
>   At least I don't see a sane way to achieve it from my
> rudimentary understanding of profiles.

The only way it could be done is to have additive profiles, i.e. a
collection of possible profiles such as gnome, kde, openrc, systemd -
pick all that apply.

This very rapidly cascades into a total nightmare when one profile say
to include thing X and another says to exclude thing X. There's no sane
default handling for that, one has to install local policy that applies
a precedence rule.

USE=systemd is far better (ignoring for the moment the difficulties in
actually switching the service manager over)

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com