On 26/08/2013 08:10, Pandu Poluan wrote:
>> The ZFS approach is better - here's the storage, now do with it what I
>> want but don't employ arbitrary fixed limits and structures to do it.
>>

> +1 on ZFS. It's honestly a truly *modern* filesystem.
>
> Been using it as the storage back-end of my company's email server.
>
> The zpool and zfs command may need some time to be familiar with, but
> the self-mounting self-sharing ability of zfs (i.e., no need to muck
> with fstab and exports files) is really sweet.
>
> I really leveraged its ability to do what I call "delta snapshot
> shipping" (i.e., send only the differences between two snapshots to
> another place). It's almost like an asynchronous DRBD, but with the
> added peace of mind that if the files become corrupted (due to buggy
> app, almost no way for ZFS to let corrupt data exist), I can easily
> 'roll back' to the time where the files are still uncorrupted.

I run it on my NASes, and the thing that really sold me was what it lets
me as the admin do:

I get all the benefits of directories with none of the downsides.
I get all the benefits of mount points with none of the downsides.
I get all the benefits of discrete filesystems with none of the downsides.

Like you say, a truly modern fs built for modern needs.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com