On 27/08/2013 13:36, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2013-08-26 2:23 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I run it on my NASes, and the thing that really sold me was what it lets
>> me as the admin do:
>>
>> I get all the benefits of directories with none of the downsides.
>> I get all the benefits of mount points with none of the downsides.
>> I get all the benefits of discrete filesystems with none of the
>> downsides.
>>
>> Like you say, a truly modern fs built for modern needs.
>
> Are these home-built NAS's running FreeBSD (or maybe FreeNAS)? Or
> TrueNAS or Nexenta boxes?
>
> I'm wondering what the best way would be to get something set up for ZFS
> file storage. I have some older servers that I can use, so was leaning
> toward FreeNAS...

Mine are HP mini-servers (the cube shaped ones) with 4 SATA bays running
FreeNAS 8.0.something.

Dunno if you've worked with FreeNAS before, but it's literally a case of
write the image to USB or flash storage and boot off it. Then play.

You will need to be able to boot off a USB stick, CF card or similar,
FreeNAS uses an entire drive for it's system partition and it's a shame
to waste a whole high-capacity disk just for a 2G system image

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com