On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 01:55:49PM -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2013-09-28 6:36 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > So this brings us back to the essential technical problem that still
> > needs to be solved on your machines:
> >
> > /usr needs to be available (and not only for BT keyboards) at the
> > earliest possible opportunity - this is a technical constraint. To
> > guarantee that, you need to either merge /usr with /, or use an
> > initramfs to guarantee that /usr is available before anything else
> > happens in userland.
> >
> > It*really*  is that simple. If you have a better solution than my last
> > two choices, then I am all ears.
>
> Ok, and if this is all true, I can accept it.

Alan, this is a very good summary of the issues involved. Everyone on
the list should go and read flameeyes' blog post then this summary.

Tanstaaf,

I am the OpenRC author/maintainer and a member of base-system. I can
tell you that we are not discussing forcing systemd on everyone in
Gentoo Linux as a default init system. I can also tell you that I am not
aware of the Gentoo systemd team discussing this. Even if they were, a
distro-wide change like this would have to be brought before the
Council.

William