On 30/09/2013 00:53, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2013-09-29 5:15 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Those numbers are not likely to change much with time, with one
>> exception:
>>
>> /usr/src
>>
>> That can get real big real quick if you don't clean up kernel sources
>> often. Ideally, you'd make that a suitably sized LV and mount it
>> seperately.
>
> Yeah, I always keep 2 or 3 known good kernels, and clean out the old
> stuff, so no worries there.
>
>> The other space consumer is /usr/share with it's many documentation
>> files. But those too tend to be stable once you have everything
>> installed. 5G free out of 19G is ~75% space in use which is perfectly
>> acceptable for this case.
>>
>> Regular monitoring of the state of your machines will tell you if space
>> usage increases so you can investigate and deal with it timeously.
>>
>> I assume you long since moved portage and it's storage directories out
>> of /usr into /var?
>
> Hmmm... No, I never did that myself...
>
> Wow...
>
> moria : Sun Sep 29, 18:19:01 : ~
>  # du -sh /usr/*
> 85M     /usr/bin
> 131M    /usr/include
> 0       /usr/lib
> 11M     /usr/lib32
> 530M    /usr/lib64
> 51M     /usr/libexec
> 15M     /usr/local
> 7.8G    /usr/portage
> 21M     /usr/sbin
> 509M    /usr/share
> 3.9G    /usr/src
> 0       /usr/tmp
> 7.0M    /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
> moria : Sun Sep 29, 18:26:30 : ~
>  #

Apart from portage and src that all looks totally normal and unlikely to
vary much over time.

> Is this the official gentoo way now? Will a new/fresh virgin install
> have /var/portage instead of /usr/portage?

The new instaled default is to put all of portage on /var, whilst still
supporting old installs on /usr. This is no big deal in code, as it's
really just a string containing a base path

> I can eliminate almost 8GB by moving portage and its storage directories...

Or move them onto a dedictaed LV. This is a case where a different mount
point makes a lot of sense - we're all aware just how unique the tree is
in terms of fs performance - thousands of small files mostly smaller
than 2k in hundreds of directories. It's quite different to everything
else on /usr or even /var.

Same with distfiles, that too can move anywhere you want it to be, just
adjust one setting in make.conf

> I don't recall seeing a news item about that...

IIRC it wasn't a news item as such. Perhaps it was an elog from portage
itself.

> But... is /usr/portage the default/recommended location? If so, then I
> don't think I want to move it - I generally never change defaults unless
> there is a very good reason to do so.

It's /var/portage for new installs. If you want it to be somewhere else,
just move it and adjust make.conf

> But, is there some official gentoo docs online explaining how to do this?
>
> Something more to think about...
>
> Also - is there any kind of maintenance I shoudl be doing on
> /usr/portage to clean old cruft out? Or does portage maintain it already.

rsync takes care of all that.
You have eclean to keep distfiles tidy
binpkgs you need to clean up on your own, as portage has no way of
knowing what you want to keep. And local overlays fall in the same category

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com