All,

I can clarify one part of the systemd issue, because I have been
involved in this part of the issue for months. Again,  I am not trying
to start a dispute here, just providing a clarification.

The choice to install all of the systemd binaries in /usr is not an
upstream choice. It was a choice made a year ago when our systemd team
was one person [1], and now the team doesn't want to change it because
it would require users to go through a migration, and the rest of the
team doesn't see a benefit in changing it since it still links to
libraries in /usr/lib.

I joined the team, primarily to take responsibility for this change and
to try to make it go as smoothly as possible, but I was overruled even
though upstream gave us a pretty strong warning about it.

William

[1]
http://blogs.gentoo.org/mgorny/2012/01/04/moving-systemd-into-usr-the-technical-side/