El 30/09/13 00:47, Volker Armin Hemmann escribió:
> Am 29.09.2013 18:41, schrieb Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera (klondike):

>>> in the very early days /usr did not exist in the first space and was
>>> only created because someone added a harddisk.
>>>
>>> Not really a good reason to keep it around.
>> I'm going to show the lack of sense of this argument:
>> in the very early days linux did not exist in the first space and was
>> only created because someone got a 386.
>>
>> Not really a good reason to keep it around.
> wrong analogy and it goes down from here. Really.
Ohh, but they are inspired on YOUR analogy, so guess how wrong yours was.
>> in the very early days GNU did not exist in the first space and was
>> only created because someone jammed a printer.
>>
>> Not really a good reason to keep it around.
>>
>> in the very early days Gentoo did not exist in the first space and was
>> only created because someone added a processor.
>>
>> Not really a good reason to keep it around.
>>
>> in the very early days hardening did not exist in the first space and was
>> only created because someone added security.
>>
>> Not really a good reason to keep it around.
>>
>> in the very early days Gnome did not exist in the first space and was
>> only created because someone got a graphics card.
>>
>> Not really a good reason to keep it around.
>>
>> I'm sure you'll be able to figure out the pattern there.
>>
>> Ohh and BTW, /usr was not just added because someone added a harddrive,
>> in most cases it was used to allow machines contain a very small system
>> on / which was enough to just boot and mount a networked system (/usr)
>> containing most of the software. This allowed for cheaper deployment of
>> machines since the hard drive could be smaller as it wouldn't need to
>> have all the data locally. Yeah, if this sounds familiar is because this
>> was later moved to initramfs.
> no, network'ed file systems came a lot later.
> Initially /usr was added because one harddisk was full. Really, that is
> the whole reason for its (broken) existance.
Please provide some reference about "Initially /usr was added because
one harddisk was full." without it your statement is moot to me.

The setup of a separate /usr on a networked system was used in amongst
other places a few swedish universities.
>>> and a seperate /home does not create any problems.
>>> /var is much more prone to accidentally fill up then /usr ever was.
>> You are jst getting it wrong, /var was kept locally as the data there
>> was supposed to change from machine to machine.
> no, you just don't understand what I wrote.
> People told other people to keep /usr seperate so / may not fill up by
> accident.
>
> That advise always was murky at best. Outright stupid is a good
> description too.
>
> /usr is not prone to much changes. So if your / fits the contents of
> /usr just fine, there is pretty much no risk.
> /var on the other hand tends to explode - but a lot of people never got
> told to put /var on a seperate disk.
>
> If you ever realized that a tens of gigabyte logfile just made your box
> unbootable, you learnt a lot that day.
That's why you move /var/log, not /var

>>> too bad POSIX is much older than LSB or FHS.
>> Too bad separate /usr is much older than initramfs.
> too bad that initramfs and initrd are pretty good solutions to the
> problem of hidden breakage caused by seperate /usr.
> If you are smart enough to setup an nfs server, I suppose you are smart
> enough to run dracut/genkernel&co.
If you are smart enough to run "dracut/genkernel&co" I suppose you are
smart enough to see the wrongness of your initial statement "too bad
POSIX is much older than LSB or FHS."

>>> that gnome is very hostile when it comes to KDE or choice is not news.
>>> And their dependency on systemd is just the usual madness. But they are
>>> not to blame for seperate /usr and the breakage it causes.
>> True, fingers here should be pointed into another direction like systemd.
> systemd is not the first package to break.
udev is a part of systemd
>>> what? that you need an initrd? That is so bad?
>> It may be, there is people which may not have enough free space ob /boot
>> for example.
> and now we are deeply into kidding territory. How small is that boot? 3mb?
Maybe, I know of Gentoo users running on really old Pentium IIs with
SCSI disks, so it wouldn't come as a surprise.
>>> Are you kidding me?
>> I doubt it, instead you seem to be just trolling, see your own arguments
> well, I haven't seen any arguments from you so far. So who is the troll
> again?
You have kindly disregarded them... like trolls tend to do,

>>> no thank you. But if I might add one: you are making an elephant out of
>>> a gnat.
>> To me it looks like youu are making a gnat out of an elephant.
> what is the elephant? Running an extra command on kernel updates?
Requiring users to repartition systems with the downtime that carries,
for example.