On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 08:35:16 -0400
Tanstaafl <tansta...@libertytrek.org> wrote:

> On 2013-09-30 3:14 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 30/09/2013 19:25, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
>  >> Alan wrote:

> >> really? so when I moved PORTDIR to /var/portage I was ahead of the
> >> rest? Wow...
>
> > You were ahead of me for sure :-)
>
> So... if the change from /usr/portage to /var/portage was official,
> is there any (official) documentation on precisely how to move it?
>
> Hmmm.... more importantly, when did this change occur? Is it possibly
> tied to portage 2.2? The reason I ask is, I'm still on 2.1, and man
> portage still has references to:
>
> /usr/portage/sets
> /usr/portage/metadata
> /usr/portage/profiles
> /usr/share/portage/config
>
> and man make.conf still says:
>
> PKGDIR = [path] <snip>
>                Defaults to /usr/portage/packages.
>
> and most importantly:
>
> PORTDIR = [path] <snip>
>                Defaults to /usr/portage.
>
> So... are you quite certain that this default has in fact changed?
>
> I know that it is probably trivial, but I like to read official docs
> for things like this...
>
> Thanks again...

Hi,
I haven't kept up with documentation but moving portage is
fairly straightforward.
Here's how I'd do it:

 mkdir /var/portage
 chown portage:portage /var/portage
 rsync -aHx /usr/portage/ /var/portage/ #add flags if using ext attr.

edit /etc/make.conf
 PORTDIR="/var/portage"
 DISTDIR=${PORTDIR}/distfiles
 PKGDIR=${PORTDIR}/packages

edit /etc/portage/repos.conf/* accordingly

change default profile with eselect profile list
or manually link /etc/make.profile to the correct path

emerge --sync

when everything is working ok clean /usr/portage

Hope i was helpful,
netixen