On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 2:24 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/10/2013 20:48, Neil Bothwick wrote:
>> On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 14:15:49 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
>>
>>> I'm interested in what the DEFAULTS are, ie, for a new/from scratch
>>> installation.
>>
>> Why? If ever there was a distro for people that didn't want to use
>> defaults, Gentoo is it.
>>
>>> Someone had to decide the defaults - so, what are they? Anyone?
>>
>> I installed a VM a couple of weeks ago and I'm sure portage was still
>> in /usr. It's easy enough to tell, unpack a stage 3 and see where the
>> portage directory lives, but the handbook still refers to /usr/portage.
>>

> Please say it isn't so, otherwise I'm going to look like a right royal
> chump.
>
> Or maybe I just change it all on automatic these days and forget it do
> it. But it was definitely discussed on -dev at length. i could be wrong
> about the end result <bashful>

Looks like it's still usr/portage here...

http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/portage.git;a=blob;f=pym/portage/repository/config.py;h=0d6edf4e3e6dcffb0758caf859a597a8f0996bc0;hb=HEAD#l615

and here

http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/portage.git;a=blob;f=cnf/repos.conf;h=8c657daae3259e42e01ea05c689b74293b5224a7;hb=HEAD#l5

I don't see repos.conf in gx86 and I don't see PORTDIR in any
gx86-provided make.defaults'es as of yesterday.

So I guess it's still usr/portage.

I do think I vaguely recall that discussion about /var too though...
frankly, /var seems more sensible ... but maybe that's a can of worms
I should not be opening in this thread :)

-gmt