Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 06/10/2013 21:24, Dale wrote:
>> Alan McKinnon wrote:
>>> lsusb, lshw, dmideciode and friends will tell you what hardware you
>>> really have
>>>
>> Yep, they say it needs OHCI.  I also checked here and it says the same
>> thing.
>>
>> http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/Giga-byte/GA-770T-USB3
>>
>> I guess my hardware is just a little out of date.  ;-)
> I thought your hardware was new enough to have dropped USB1 ports. Oh well.

Well, when I bought my mobo, it was on sale for clearing out old stock.
For this mobo, USB3 was pretty new from my understanding.  I think my
mobo is just a bit weird.  It is sort of Heinz 57 on what it has for
USB.  lol

>>> Nope. The hardware only runs at whatever speed it runs at.
>>>
>>> A USB2 device plugged into a USB3 port runs at USB2 speeds.
>>> A USB1 and a USB2 device plugged into the same USB port makes both runs
>>> at USB1 speeds
>>>
>>> There's no magic software to change that.
>>>
>>> But if you plug a USB3 drive into a USB3 port controlled by an OHCI
>>> driver, it will run at USB2 speeds. Switching to XHCI is the only thing
>>> you could do to improve speeds
>> That's what I meant tho.  I have USB3 ports but it seems they have been
>> running at USB2 speeds since I never enabled USB3 drivers.  I sort of
>> missed that.  No clue if the stuff I am plugging in supports USB3 or not
>> tho.  Maybe my USB sticks do tho.
> Your USB sticks are not USB3. I have yet to see one anywhere that is. I
> don;t thing they are even remotely fast enough to warrant it
>
> If you have USB3 drives, you already know all about it. It would have
> had USB3 logos emblazened all over the box, it would have cost more than
> a comparable USB2 drive of the same capacity, I will be newish (last 2
> years?) and the connectors are different:
>
> The full-size classic USB plug has a blue insulator and if you look
> inside it has extra pins at the rear. The end that plugs into the drive
> is usually micro-USB3 and it clearly consists of 2 sections - a regular
> micro-usb set of pins (that does accept old micro-usb cables) and a
> second set that is slightly shorter.
>
> You can't get this wrong, the cables are very different and yet still
> backwards compatible. If your drives don't have such unusual sockets,
> they are not USB3

That's my thinking.  I rarely if ever buy the latest greatest thing.  I
go down a level or two, sometimes three, to save money.  Heck, my old
rig was a AMD 2500+ single core system.  This AMD 4 core at 3.2GHz is
MUCH faster.  It also can have more memory too.

I could take the sides off and look.  I know the connectors are
different on the mobo but I'm not positive what goes to the front.  If I
recall correctly, I put the fast ones to the front but that's just my
thinking too.  ;-)

That error message repeats about every two seconds.  I'm glad I have
logrotate installed or /var would have filled up ages ago.

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!