On Tuesday 15 Oct 2013 20:28:46 Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 2:34 AM, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I haven't had to set up a software RAID for years and now.  I want to set
> > up two RAID 1 arrays on a new file server to serve SBM to MSWindows
> > clients.  The first RAID1 having two disks, where a multipartition OS
> > installation will take place.  The second RAID1 having two disks for a
> > single data partition.
> >
> > From what I recall I used mdadm with --auto=mdp, to create a RAID1 from 2
> > disks, before I used fdisk to partition the new /dev/md0 as necessary.
> > All this is lost in the fog of time.  Now I read that these days udev
> > names the devices/partitions, so I am not sure what the implication of
> > this is and how to proceed.
> >
> > What is current practice?  Create multiple /dev/mdXs for the OS
> > partitions I would want and then stick a fs on each one, or create one
> > /dev/md0 which thereafter is formatted with multiple partitions?
> > Grateful for any pointers to resolve my confusion.
>
> One of the best resources is the kernel RAID wiki:
> https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/

Thanks Paul!  It seems that after a cursory look, both ways of partitioning a
RAID-1 are still available:

https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Partitioning_RAID_/_LVM_on_RAID

# df -h
 /dev/md2              3.8G  640M  3.0G  18% /
 /dev/md1               97M   11M   81M  12% /boot
 /dev/md5              3.8G  1.1G  2.5G  30% /usr
 /dev/md6              9.6G  8.5G  722M  93% /var/www
 /dev/md7              3.8G  951M  2.7G  26% /var/lib
 /dev/md8              3.8G   38M  3.6G   1% /var/spool
 /dev/md9              1.9G  231M  1.5G  13% /tmp
 /dev/md10             8.7G  329M  7.9G   4% /var/www/html

and:

mdadm --create --auto=mdp --verbose /dev/md_d0 --level=mirror --raid-devices=2
/dev/sda /dev/sdb

which is thereafter partitioned with fdisk.  This is the one I have used in
the past.

Which one is preferable, or what are the pros & cons of each?

--
Regards,
Mick