On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 23:52:44 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> Since quite a while ago (months), acroread stopped working. It won't start
> up at all. No error messages are shown. It just aborts. No window is
> showing up.
>
> Anyone else having this problem? I'm on ~amd64.

I just rebuilt my system for ~amd64 and have it working fine. The thing to
understand about Acrobat Reader is that it has forever been linked
incorrectly: it contains both an embedded old zlib AND dynamically links
against the system-wide zlib version.  Yes, these people are laughably
incompetent.

This goes poof when e.g the dynamically loaded zlib is compiled with -O3,
which seems to change symbol entry points & offsets. If I had to look
deeper that would be my first angle of attack. Since I now have the
x86-emul-libs prebuilt I no longer have this problem; however on my
remaining 32bit x86 installation zlib must still be built with -O2 only.

-h