On 2013-10-30 16:44, Andrew Lowe wrote:

        I've just installed the video tool avidemux but when I load a video,
the video loads, but there is no sound. A Google search offered a remedy
which required opening the preferences dialogue box. I attempted to do
this, but low and behold, no dialogue box will open. Further
investigation reveals that File->Open, File->Save, File->Information and
more don't display their dialogue boxes.

I am not deeply familiar with it but I use it a lot, in version media-video/avidemux-2.5.6-r2, with the gtk interface. I have tried to also compile and use with the qt4 UI with less good results. I also found the 2.6.x version to be broken in several ways, but that was a few months ago. So although the 2.5.x version has security holes, I tend to not work on videos with unknown origin, so I am still using that.

Maybe this helps you,
   Peter.