Neil Bothwick wrote:
Correct, and /dev/hda5 is (hd0,4) despite all the conflicting advice
you've been given.  All my boxes have /boot on hda5 and all use hd0,4
(well, except the iBook which uses that horrible yaboot thing, anyone
who wants to start a grub vs. lilo flame war should be made to use
yaboot).

Sorry for the confusing answers. I was pretty sure grub doesn't care wether your partions are primary or logical, giving each a number starting from 0. Appearantly this is *not* the case. From the docs:

     (hd0,1)

   Here, `hd' means it is a hard disk drive. The first integer `0'
indicates the drive number, that is, the first hard disk, while the
second integer, `1', indicates the partition number (or the PC slice
number in the BSD terminology). Once again, please note that the
partition numbers are counted from _zero_, not from one. This
expression means the second partition of the first hard disk drive. In
this case, GRUB uses one partition of the disk, instead of the whole
disk.

     (hd0,4)

   This specifies the first "extended partition" of the first hard disk
drive. Note that the partition numbers for extended partitions are
counted from `4', regardless of the actual number of primary partitions
on your hard disk.

Hope this made things clearer now...

Christoph
--
echo mailto: NOSPAM !#$.'<*>'|sed 's. ..'|tr "<*> !#:2" [EMAIL PROTECTED]