On 11/12/2013 23:04, Mick wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 Dec 2013 16:52:49 Peter Humphrey wrote:
>> On Wednesday 11 Dec 2013 18:39:59 Alan McKinnon wrote:
>>> $ equery depends print-manager
>>>
>>>  * These packages depend on print-manager:
>>> kde-base/kdeutils-meta-4.11.4 (cups ?

>>> Set USE="-cups" to fix
>>
>> Confirmed. I didn't have kdeutils-meta installed. Installing it pulls in 10
>> packages with USE=-cups, 21 without. I'm installing it now.
>>
>> Of course I want other programs to be able to print, so I only set -cups
>> against kdeutils-meta.
>
> Let me get this right, if I set 'kde-base/kdeutils-meta -cups' I will still
> be
> able to print from kde applications?

I believe so. As far as I could ever tell, KDE's print manager was just
a configurator front end to CUPS, so you can configure CUPS directly
instead.

For many years, that's exactly what I did. The print manager was masked
for years as "broken by design" and at one point wasn't even installed
by default at all. So I got used to hitting port 631 on localhost in a
browser.

I can't see any reason why it still isn't like that

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com