On 16/01/2014 15:21, Gevisz wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 12:30:29 +0000
> Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 14:19:52 +0200, Gevisz wrote:
>>
>>> I have to watch a lot of dav video files and possibly convert
>>> them to a more common video format like avi or mp4.
>>>
>>> What are my options?
>>
>> Have you tried media-video/handbrake? It's straightforward to use and
>> comes with plenty of preset output settings.
>
> No.
>
> I am afraid of installing a package that is masked in Gentoo portage tree.
>
> emerge --search handbrake
> Searching...
> [ Results for search key : handbrake ]
> [ Applications found : 1 ]
>
> *  media-video/handbrake [ Masked ]
>       Latest version available: 9999
>       Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
>       Size of files: 0 kB
>       Homepage:      http://handbrake.fr/
>   multithreaded video transcoder. License:       GPL-2
>
> May be, something else?

don't use emerge -s to look for stuffs. It's slow and never shows the
full picture. Use app-portage/eix instead:

# eix handbrake
[I] media-video/handbrake
     Available versions:  (~)0.9.9 **9999 {fdk ffmpeg gstreamer gtk}
     Installed versions:  0.9.9(15:09:43 18/10/2013)(ffmpeg gstreamer
gtk -fdk)
     Homepage:            http://handbrake.fr/
multithreaded video transcoder.

handbrake-0.9.9 works very well indeed but it's ~arch. If you don't see
it in your output, you need to --sync

Incidentally, there's nothing bad about installing that package's 9999
version. It's masked because it's in the source repo (all
cvs/svn/git/etc sources are always masked so they don't get installed
accidentally). But keeping them current is a pain.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com