Gevisz <gevisz <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I have to watch a lot of dav video files and possibly convert
> them to a more common video format like avi or mp4.

TI has a proprietary h.264 implemetation, encoding and encryption technology
built into various processors and DSPs, know as DaVinci [1]. The proprietary
videos are stored in a propriatary format. They provide a high-performance
TI DaVinci series DSP H.264 video. Many asian manufacturers
use a bastardized versions known as h.264-lite (AVCHD lite). Acutally,
the chineese video offering is a plethora of divergence and your experience,
vendor to vendor can vary widely. TI is the 800 lb gorilla in the h.264
space, probably providing the raw technology to 80% of the manufactures
of anything that runs h.264, or licensing via their patents on h.264.

There are tools/software to convert these video clips to other formats,
as you like, under windows, readily available[2].

You run into a lot of bullshit, deception and re-branding in this effort,
both from the camera and headend (storage) devices, as well as the snakes
that license these offering. All pay homage to MPLA (bastards). [3] TI
is one of the largest h.264 patent holders that MPLA enforces.

Here is an interesting discussion about a linux SDK [4].

A posible slick (but expensive) way to do this is purchase an expensive
package, like Sony's Vegas Pro12. I hear that is does everything, but,
I have not tried to work with .dav files.......

I have not tried the latest offering of handbrake, but since it is voiced
to be stable and capable, I am interested in this possibility too.

hth,
James

[1] http://www.ti.com/lsds/ti/dsp/video_processors/overview.page

[2] http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/KLite-Codec-Pack-Full/1094057842/3