hasufell <hasuf...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Many defaults gentoo sets do not have anything to do with default
> codepaths upstream has tested.

I disagree: The USE-enabling in ebuilds usually follows upstream.
IIRC there was even a policy for gentoo developers which strongly
suggested this.

> As above, our defaults are not necessarily following upstream
> recommendations/defaults. Apache alone should make you think about that
> claim.

I never installed apache.
However, especially for packages for which the choice of algorithms
has to be selected (USE-flags thread, jit) or of protocols/interfaces
(openssl or gnutls, neon or other, sqlite or mysql, openvpn[lzo],
qtgui[exceptions], mesa, freetype, wine), the installation of tools
(utils, examples, tk, perl, python) or extensions (tls-heartbeat,
introspection, X, readline) the defaults usually follow the
upstream default or recommendation unless there is a severe reason
not to.

> If disabling one useflag breaks the whole package, then it's a bug.

Whether it breaks your machine/setup or not is independent of
whether it breaks a package.

> care about and arch testers usually run all(or most?) useflag
> permutations before stabilizing.

Simple mathematics shows that this cannot be even closely true.
Anyway, this has nothing to do with our discussion.