On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 09:13:27 -0400
"Poison BL." <poiso...@gmail.com> wrote:

> fighting on the topic of 'proper use of mailing lists' when you're
> standing in stark contrast to the configuration of the mailing list
> you're using to do it,

Which fight? It is a short notice as to why it is being done, as well
as what can be done to make a change. Convincing individually isn't.

> and in the process, telling everyone (many of which have been around
> here helping other users for many, many, years) that they're wrong
> for using the list they've been using in the manner they've been
> using it...

Words are being turned around here, I've never said someone is wrong;
however, I provided filtering as an option to them to consider.

> when I see your name appear the first time as long ago as
> last Dec., is rather on the arrogant side at the least (I'm not
> certain if you've been around -dev or another longer, as I don't
> believe I'm subscribed on that one).

There are more mailing lists and communication mediums; the reason
I've not replied much in this one since last year, is because I've let
this inbox grow to ~1000 unread mails or so which I'm progressing now.

> If you're really hellbent on getting the configuration of the list
> changed, feel free to take it up with the person who configures the
> list, rather than approaching it by being condescending to the people
> who consistently use it.

That's for those that have a problem with it to do; as well a getting
it confirmed that a certain way of responding is required, there's been
nothing said about it when mails of mine went out to persons from the
infrastructure team on the gentoo-dev ML and neither by other devs.

Developers recommend each other to use a rule, and everyone uses it;
it might be a side effect of procmail being available on our dev SSH,
but in any case it works out well for every developer, see this link:

http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Procmail

"The mailing list etiquette requires people to CC all the people
involved in a particular thread in replies to the mailing list, in case
any of them is not subscribed."

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D