On 10/04/2014 15:26, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 4/10/2014 7:21 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Everything else in that list is routine except maybe pciutils and gpm.
>> Add them to world manually if you use those apps
>
> Thanks Alan/Tom...
>
> Hmmm... what is pciutils used for? From a little googling, it seems like
> it is a tool that I would manually have to use, not something required
> by the system itself for anything that happens automatically (ie, at
> boot time)?

pciutils provides lspci, I'm sure you've used that one lots :-)

I'm assuming it was in the @system set since forever and has now been
taken out - it's hugely useful but not 100% required to get a working
Gentoo install so therefore doesn't really belong in @system

I myself have a personal @tools set that I've used since forever and
pciutils is in it so I always have lspci on every gentoo box. Hence why
I have to assume what took place recently in the tree

> If so, I've never used it that I can recall, so I guess I can let
> depclean remove it?
>
> As for gpm... this is the 'general purpose mouse server'? If so, guess I
> don't need this either, since this is a VM without a gui?

gpm lets you use your mouse in the console just like you use it in X.
The "pointer" isn't an arrow, it's a flashing block cursor but you can
highlight, copy and paste text just like in X. Useful if you've gotten
to like it, completely redundant if you never used it and get along fine
without it

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com