On Saturday, May 03, 2014 12:33:11 PM Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Am 03.05.2014 12:27, schrieb J. Roeleveld:
> > On 3 May 2014 12:12:09 CEST, "Stefan G. Weichinger" <li...@xunil.at>
wrote:
> >> I see boot problems on two of my machines ... very likely related to
> >> lvm2 as far as I can tell so far.
> >>
> >> Downgraded and even disabled systemd, re-emerged stuff ... I am still
> >> at
> >> trying to find the reason. Maybe it is with the mdadm raids also ...
> >>
> >> I just want to ask you other gentoo users if anyone else hit this issue
> >> since around yesterday? Maybe someone else also scratches his head
> >> already ...
> >>
> >> Stefan
> >
> > Can you provide more info on the kind of boot issues you are having?
> >
> > Based on what you gave, only difference between your systems and mine is
> > systemd. And my systems boot. This leads to the assumption the issue is
> > caused by systemd.
> >
> > --
> > Joost
> >
> > Ps. This is NOT an anti-systemd remark :)
>
> Yeah, sure ;-)
>
> Reporting issues/bugs from a system running with systemd very often
> leads to these fundamental statements "see what happens ... !?" :-)

I tend to try not to.
If you had mentioned a random package X instead of systemd, my comment would
have mentioned random package X.

I don't use systemd, but as it's pushed by Redhat and redhat, by default, uses
LVM, I would expect that part to work correctly together.

> I am still trying to spot the reason. As mentioned in my other reply
> currently it seems to also timeout/hang with openrc for me.
>
> Right now I downgraded systemd, rebuilt dbus, dracut, procps ...

lvm-utils?

> From a live-cd I am able to mount /, start the 2 raid-arrays, activate
> VGs and LVs ... everything useable.

Ok, to get this straight.
You have x amount of disks
those are in 2 raid-arrays
on top of that, you have LVM...

Can you check that LVM is WAITING for the MDADM arrays to be build?

This sounds like an issue I was having a while ago. I had to add an extra
dependency to the start-up scripts at the time.

> Currently I rebooted kernel 3.14.2 and get another:
>
> "A start job is running for Activation of LVM2 logical volumes" ... from
> systemd-212-r2 (tested -r3 and stable 208 as well)
>
> Removing the "real_init" from the kernel line chooses openrc and also
> leads to a hanging boot.
>
> So a next step seems to comment the LVs from fstab and check if it boots
> then.

Or enable interactive boot where you can press "I" to have every service ask
if it needs to be started. Then skip LVM.
Do you have parallel-boot enabled with OpenRC?
If yes, disable that just to make sure that isn't causing the issue with
OpenRC.
With systemd, I would recommend checking the dependencies between mdadm and
lvm.

--
Joost