Am 03.05.2014 12:54, schrieb J. Roeleveld:

> I don't use systemd, but as it's pushed by Redhat and redhat, by default,
> uses
> LVM, I would expect that part to work correctly together.

Yes ... but I still don't fully get what services to enable to get it
set up correctly. lvmetad yes or no, various systemd-generators ... to
me it looks a bit confusing. I had a local lvm.service ... and disabled
it already.

>> I am still trying to spot the reason. As mentioned in my other reply
>> currently it seems to also timeout/hang with openrc for me.
>>
>> Right now I downgraded systemd, rebuilt dbus, dracut, procps ...
>
> lvm-utils?

No such package in portage on my thinkpad ... (using this machine to reply).

>> From a live-cd I am able to mount /, start the 2 raid-arrays, activate
>> VGs and LVs ... everything useable.
>
> Ok, to get this straight.
> You have x amount of disks
> those are in 2 raid-arrays
> on top of that, you have LVM...

one ssd for / and /home ... 2 hdds building 2 mdadm-arrays as PVs, VGs
on top ... LVs for data/music/VMs/etc

> Can you check that LVM is WAITING for the MDADM arrays to be build?

I will try to. Disabling it from a non-booting system is a bit
difficult. Commenting the fstab-lines containing LVs didn't help to skip
this step so far (seems there is this LVM-systemd-generator called)

>> Removing the "real_init" from the kernel line chooses openrc and also
>> leads to a hanging boot.
>>
>> So a next step seems to comment the LVs from fstab and check if it boots
>> then.
>
> Or enable interactive boot where you can press "I" to have every service ask
> if it needs to be started. Then skip LVM.
> Do you have parallel-boot enabled with OpenRC?

No.

> If yes, disable that just to make sure that isn't causing the issue with
> OpenRC.
> With systemd, I would recommend checking the dependencies between mdadm and
> lvm.

Additional scratching: even editing the grub2-line doesn't reliably
chose openrc for booting. Oh my ...

It would help to somehow set a smaller timeout for this start job to at
least get into emergency mode sooner. Right now it waits forever ("no
limit").