On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 10:10 PM,  <ny6...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I run a script that syncs portage, updates @world, depcleans, revdep-rebuild
> and finally runs dispatch-conf -- about once weekly. Keeps my system in fine
> trim. :)

This one is a gem - I forget where I saw it (likely planet, but maybe
it was on a list).  Stick it in your crontab.  I will warn you that
sometimes it chokes on its own output and obviously it can't build
binpkgs for anything more than one step down the dependency tree.
However, when my weekly chromium build runs at 2AM and I can just
install it (with -k) the next morning it is a nice thing indeed.  You
still get full control over USE flags/etc, but most of the convenience
of a binary distro.

#!/bin/sh

LIST=$(mktemp);

emerge -puD --changed-use --color=n --columns --quiet=y --with-bdeps=y
world | awk '{print $2}' > ${LIST};

for PACKAGE in $(cat ${LIST});
do
  printf "Building binary package for ${PACKAGE}... "
  emerge -uN --quiet-build --quiet=y --buildpkgonly ${PACKAGE};
  if [[ $? -eq 0 ]];
  then
    echo "ok";
  else