On Monday, June 02, 2014 11:56:24 AM Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Jun 2014 05:27:44 -0500, Dale wrote:
> > The second option does sound what I am looking for.  Basically, if I log
> > out but leave my computer on, leave home, some crook/NSA type breaks in
> > and tries to access something or steals my whole puter, they would just
> > get garbage for data.  That seems to fit the second option best.
>
> If they steal your computer they will have to power it off, unless you
> are kind enough to leave them a large enough UPS to steal along with it,
> so any encryption will be equally effective.

You only need a UPS that can keep a machine running for about a few minutes.
First start the portable generator, then unplug the UPS from the wall and plug
it into the portable generator.
Then when in the car/van/truck/... plug it over from the portable generator
into a 12V / 24V -> 120/240V DC/AC converter and drive to a location where you
have the tools to hack into a running machine.

Best configure the machine to auto-power-down when it looses connection to a
fixed device in your home, like the smart meter, bluetooth headset,... or
anything else that has a built-in wireless capability.

--
Joost