On Monday, June 02, 2014 07:28:53 AM Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 6:56 AM, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Mon, 02 Jun 2014 05:27:44 -0500, Dale wrote:
> >> The second option does sound what I am looking for.  Basically, if I log
> >> out but leave my computer on, leave home, some crook/NSA type breaks in
> >> and tries to access something or steals my whole puter, they would just
> >> get garbage for data.  That seems to fit the second option best.
> >
> > If they steal your computer they will have to power it off, unless you
> > are kind enough to leave them a large enough UPS to steal along with it,
> > so any encryption will be equally effective.
>
> If you're worried about casual thieves then just about any kind of
> properly-implemented encryption will stop them.
>
> If you're worried about a government official specifically tasked with
> retrieving your computer, my understanding is that it is SOP these
> days to retrieve your computer without powering it off for just this
> reason.  They won't use your UPS to do it.  Typically they remove the
> plug just far enough to expose the prongs, slide in a connector that
> connects it to a UPS, and then they pull it out the rest of the way
> now powered by the UPS.
>
> See something like:
> http://www.cru-inc.com/products/wiebetech/hotplug_field_kit/

Hmm... Those are nice, but can be easily built yourself with an off-the-shelf
UPS.

> Presumably somebody who is determined will also have the means to
> retrieve the contents of RAM once they seize your computer.  Besides
> directlly accessing the memory bus I think most motherboards are not
> designed to be secure against attacks from PCI/firewire/etc.

Hmm... add something to auto-shutdown the computer when a hotplug event occurs
on any of the internal ports and remove support for unused ports from the
kernel.

I wonder how they'd keep a computer from initiating a shutdown procedure or
causing a kernel panic when it looses (wireless) connection to another device
that is unlikely to be moved when powered up?

--
Joost