On Tuesday, June 03, 2014 11:39:39 AM Tom Wijsman wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Jun 2014 11:30:11 +0000
>
> "J. Roeleveld" <jo...@antarean.org> wrote:
> > Sounds like Samuli is being a pr*ck by forcing systemd on everyone
> > now.
>
> Which is a lot better than to have it break by the lack thereof.
>
> > A proper solution would have been to have the upower ebuild
> > select systemd as a dependency ONLY when the systemd useflag is set.
>
> And who is going to maintain all that.
>
> > And depend on upower-pm-utils when it is not set.
>
> "The usage of a USE flag should not control runtime dependencies when
> the package does not link to it. Doing so will create extra
> configuration for the package and re-compilation for no underlying file
> change on disk. This should be avoided and instead can be conveyed to
> the user via post install messages if needed."
>
> http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/use-flags

Then the dependencies should have been fixed prior to making this stable.

I do not use Gnome and don't want systemd.

I use KDE, which does not depend on systemd. Some of the packages, however, do
depend on upower. Supposedly these would work the upower-pm-utils.
I would expect the dependency to be fixed before marking this stable or the
solution I mentioned to be implemented.

--
Joost