Hello Microcal,

I use tmpfs heavily as I have an SSD.
Here are some information that can help you :

tank woody # mount -v | grep tmpfs
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=8050440k,nr_inodes=2012610,mode=755)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=1610408k,mode=755)
shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
cgroup_root on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=10240k,mode=755)
tmpfs on /var/tmp/portage type tmpfs (rw,size=12G)
tmpfs on /usr/portage type tmpfs (rw,size=12G)
tmpfs on /usr/src type tmpfs (rw,size=12G)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,size=12G)
tmpfs on /home/woody/.mutt/cache type tmpfs (rw)

tank woody # cat /etc/fstab
#
# noatime turns off atimes for increased performance (atimes normally aren't # needed); notail increases performance of ReiserFS (at the expense of storage
# efficiency).  It's safe to drop the noatime options if you want and to
# switch between notail / tail freely.
#
# The root filesystem should have a pass number of either 0 or 1.
# All other filesystems should have a pass number of 0 or greater than 1.
#
# See the manpage fstab(5) for more information.
#

# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.
/dev/sda1        /            ext4 noatime,discard,user_xattr    0 1
/dev/sda3        /home            ext4 noatime,discard,user_xattr    0 1
#/dev/sda6        /home            ext3        noatime        0 1
#/dev/sda2        none            swap        sw        0 0
tmpfs            /var/tmp/portage    tmpfs        size=12G 0 0
tmpfs            /usr/portage        tmpfs        size=12G 0 0
tmpfs            /usr/src        tmpfs        size=12G        0 0
tmpfs            /tmp            tmpfs        size=12G        0 0
tmpfs            /home/woody/.mutt/cache/    tmpfs size=12G        0 0
#/dev/cdrom        /mnt/cdrom        auto        noauto,ro    0 0
#/dev/fd0        /mnt/floppy        auto        noauto        0 0
tank woody #

For the /usr/portage directory, if you reboot, all you have to do is emerge-webrsync or do like me :
tank woody # l /usr/ | grep portage
 924221  4 drwxr-xr-x 170 root root  4096  1 mars  02:51 portage_tmpfs
   6771  0 drwxr-xr-x 171 root root  3500 11 juin  20:40 portage
tank woody #

The /usr/portage_tmpfs is a backup of the /usr/portage, this avoid me retreiving all portage information from gentoo's servers.

Please note that I also use www-misc/profile-sync-daemon in order to store my browsers cache on /tmp.

I rarely shutdown my computer :)
Have fun