On 27/06/14 01:05, Daniel Frey wrote:
> On 06/26/2014 09:19 AM, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
>> Gosh, power must be really cheap in your corner of the world (or is it just
>> stupidly expensive over here?) I wouldn’t call 150 W “only”, especially for
>> a 24/7 device. Or is that the maximum under load?
>>

> Where I am power 7.52 cents per kWh. However, if you go over a certain
> amount per billing period (in my area it's 1376 kWh) the price increases
> to 11.2 cents per kWh for anything above that limit.
>
> In comparison to around the world, I know we are on the low end of power
> cost.
>
> When I build a PC, I don't even think anything about its power
> requirements. Lately though I've been going to smaller form factors for
> convenience, and due to this I can take advantage of better energy
> efficiency. When I shop for appliances, etc. I do consider the power
> consumption. I guess I'm strange that way.
>
> Dan

http://www.synergy.net.au/at_home/smartpower_sm1_tariff.xhtml

47.7c peak time - wish I could run a lead over to your place :)

I run ~16hrs a day and power down when I am asleep.  Once power gets to
these levels you are forced to start rationalising.  I use raspberry
pi's for some functions that need 24hr uptime (IP security camera image
storage etc.) and moved to a cisco router instead of my former (and
better) gentoo based firewall router.

BillK