On 14/07/2014 13:29, Vladimir Romanov wrote:

> <mailto:bluebo...@gmail.com>>:

>     <mailto:the.gu...@mail.ru>>:

>         On 07/14/14 14:52, Andrew Lowe wrote:
>         > Hi all, I have a laptop churning away in the loungeroom doing an
>         > "emerge -NuD world" whilst I'm in my office, amongst other things
>         > composing this email. If my world update fails, I won't know until
>         > I look at the screen in the other room. Is there a way to get
>         > emerge to play a song depending upon the status of the emerge
>         > build?
>
>         If I understand you correctly this can be done with bash like:
>         emerge <...> || play alert.mp3
>

>     TC wants to select, which song to play on result of emerge.
>

> Hmmm... Or am i wrong and it's not needed?

No, you are right. From the OP:

Is there a way to get emerge to play a song depending
upon the status of the emerge build?

I read the in one of two ways:

1. When emerge completes successfully, play something awesome (eg Pink
Floyd). When emerge completes unsuccessfully, play something horrible
(eg Justin Bieber). So maybe:

emerge <...> && play Dark.Side.of.the.Moon.mp3 || play Bieber.Sucks.mp3

2. Play something nice while emerging, and switch to Justin Bieber if
something goes wrong. This one is harder and will require tinkering with
portage internals to read the current status.

Perhaps Andrew will chime in and clarify his needs.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com