On Monday 12 September 2005 21:40, Denis wrote:
> With my need for parallel execution of several single-thread Monte
> Carlo and Finite Element tasks, what would be the pros and cons in
> considering the Xeons and Opterons?

Opterons everytime.
Under certain circumstances HT can make the CPU *slower*, and at best only
adds around a 20% performance boost.
A dual core CPU *is* two CPUs, with single digit % performance drop over 2
full CPUs.

> What would be some issues and software limitations for me in trying to
> get the AMD Opterons running on Gentoo?  And would I use an x86
> platform or an AMD64 platform?

Issues? Almost exactly nil.
AMD64 support is excellent, if a little smaller and perhaps the tiniest bit
behind, the x86 profile.

--
Mike Williams