On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 21:34:04 +0430, behrouz khosravi wrote:

> Now I am thinking about managing USE flags.
> What if I  disable everything in the make.conf ( I mean USE="-*" ) and
> gradually add the needed flags to package.use?

You may well break your system, but you get to keep the pieces as a
lesson.

Portage profiles set some default USE flags, then some ebuilds also set
defaults. Using USE="-*" disables all of these. You can see the defaults
by looking at the output from emerge --info with no USE defined in
make.conf.

> I am not trying to have severe control, I just want to expand my
> knowledge!

You will do that, but not in the way you hoped. Pick a profile that most
closely matches your usage and then find tune from that by adding or
removing USE flags. That's a lot easier than deliberately breaking things
and then trying to work out how to fix them.

Also, when setting up a new system, make USE flag changes gradually.
Unless you are sure of what you are doing, only change a few at a time.

--
Neil Bothwick

System halted - Press all keys at once to continue.