140731 Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 10:47:29AM +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote
> When reading pdf files, one expects images, so tiff and jpeg are
> reasonable flags.  One does *NOT* expect audio stuff like phonon.
> And phonon *DEMANDS SOMETHING*.  vlc is one of the options that satisfies
> phonon's demands.  Or you could choose gstreamer and its gazillion plugins.

Not quite (smile) ! -- I ran into this & sent bugs to Gentoo + KDE ;
the outcome was that I discovered that Phonon doesn't in fact demand
that you install the actual sound software :
it works to do 'USE="gstreamer" --nodeps emerge phonon'
& Kdelibs then compiles successfully as well.

If you compile KDE outside Portage, there's a "nosound" flag,
but the Gentoo devs have implemented that to require 'USE=<soundpkg>",
perhaps knowing that it cb happily ignored via '--nodeps'.
Just don't expect this to be documented anywere (grimace).

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca