On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 4:39 PM, J. Roeleveld <jo...@antarean.org> wrote:
> On 1 August 2014 23:33:05 CEST, "Canek Peláez Valdés" <can...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 4:31 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <can...@gmail.com>
>>wrote:

>>other
>>but
>>but

>>has

>>to do
>>a 64

>>match
>>more

>>> That's still too long :)
>>>
>>> With systemd-nspawn, you only do:
>>>
>>> systemd-nspawn -D /mnt/gentoo
>>>
>>> Systemd takes care of /dev, /sys, etc. If the container has systemd
>>> installed, you can do
>>>
>>> systemd-nspawn -bD /mnt/gentoo
>>>
>>> and the services inside the container will be started like in a
>>regular boot
>>> (you'll need to set the root password for the container).
>>>
>>> Also, if you want to share the /usr/portage directory between host
>>and
>>> container, you only need to
>>>
>>> systemd-nspawn --bind=/usr/portage -bD /mnt/gentoo
>>
>>Oh, and I forgot: to stop the container, just log out if the container
>>runs OpenRC, or run systemctl poweroff if the container runs systemd.
>>
>>Regards.
>
> That script could easily be written in C and compiled and then called in a
> similar way as systemd-nspawn.

And yet nobody has done it and got it included in most distributions.

> What your command does is basically the same apart from doing something
> different from using chroots.

True, but still it's shorter ;)

> Converting a perfectly working and efficiently running system to use
> something like systemd just to have a chroot environment is overly complex
> and convoluted.

I agree; but as many of us are already using systemd, is good to know
that the possibility exists.

> These solutions often cause more issues then the problem it tried to solve.

I was only offering options. The OP will use whatever he decides to use.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias