On Sunday, August 03, 2014 04:17:23 AM Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 03, 2014 at 09:07:52AM +0200, Joost Roeleveld wrote

> > > So don't blame KDE, blame Gentoo for not handling Phonon correctly :
> > > see KDE bug 190601 & Gentoo bug 265864 .
> >
> > +1
> >
> > Had a look myself just now based on your other comments.
> >
> > KDE actually specifies how to build without any multimedia (audio and
> > video) support:
> >
> > https://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/CMake#Command_Line_Variable
> >
> > cmake command line variable:
> > KDE4_DISABLE_MULTIMEDIA=ON: Build KDE without any multimedia (audio and
> > video)
>   The big question... what is "multimedia"?  Would it be possible to
> build kde with image support (gif/png/jpeg/tiff/pdf/etc) without
> building in audio and video?  I.e. how integrated is kde's graphics
> and multimedia?

The most common definition of multimedia is audio and video. Images is
generally a different set. Also the description specifies audio and video
specifically.

It might be useful to modify the ebuild(s) to specify that option and see what
happens.

But I think that needs to be added to quite a few ebuilds and the related
dependencies need to be modified as well.

--
Joost