Peter Humphrey <peter <at> prh.myzen.co.uk> writes:

> On Wednesday 13 August 2014 15:07:19 James wrote:

> > maybe I need to return to cleaning up distfiles/ by hand?

> Yes, I see I have other things than .tar.bz2 too, now you mention it.

> One of my boxes runs http-replicator to serve distfiles to the network. The
> clean-up script I run after upgrades includes this line:
>       find /var/cache/http-replicator -ctime +182 -exec rm '-v' {} +

> Also, have you tried eclean-dist, from app-portage/gentoolkit?

I'm not sure why, I figured I did not have to manually clean up
/distfiles/ any more. for a period of time I could sware that
it was a clean repository for compressed/tar source files only.....

Now that I'm looking, it looks like a policy decision for the devs
to formally evaluate. /distfiles/ should not be a dir for garbage,
one-off-files and other such nonsense. It was (circa 2004 for me)
a repository for compressed sources.

Maybe we can get systemd to clean this up? It's the new "daddy"
for all sorts of poorly wrtten codes, so why not add cleaning up
/distfiles/ to it's new fiefdom?

just teasing....(not really?).....ha ha ha ha ah ha ha ha ha.....
Lennart can you help a bro out?

;-)
James