Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:

> > Now that I'm looking, it looks like a policy decision for the devs
> > to formally evaluate. /distfiles/ should not be a dir for garbage,
> > one-off-files and other such nonsense.

> That's exactly what it is for. One-off files that the ebuild downloads,
> uses and then no longer needs. Nothing in $DISTDIR is needed by a running
> system.

Ok so anything needed for a build of a particular package goes into
/usr/portage/distfiles?

I thought ebuilds use /var/tmp/portage for that.
If in needs to hang around longer (than a /tmp file typically
hangs out for, when not put it under the  another logical place.

Like I said I thought /distfiles/ contains compressed sources
and other file needed, all rolled into a common format, like*.bz2.

It we start (continue) strowing files into /distfiles/ where does it end?

(folks, it's a philosophical discussion so no need to denegrate into
crudedness), imho.

James