On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 12:19 PM, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 17 Aug 2014 15:56:05 Alan McKinnon wrote:
>> On 17/08/2014 15:28, Rich Freeman wrote:
>
>> > 6.  That dolphin mode that gives you a shell that follows the pwd.
>> > That is just nifty.
>>
>> #6 - it does? How do I activate that? Might be useful, I didn't even
>> know there was such a fature
>
> I use Konqueror (with the dolphin plugin) and F4 opens konsole in a separate
> window, or Settings/Show Terminal Emulator shows a terminal in the bottom 5th
> of Konqueror.  My Dolphin doesn't offer the same, probably because I have only
> installed selected apps and a few meta packages, not the whole enchilada.

F4 is the default shortcut in dolphin.  It is under
control-panels-terminal.  It runs as a panel/pane as the menu
suggests.

>> > Things I think might be improveable:
>> > 1.  The way it handles window grouping.  I dislike a bazillion tabs,
>> > but I don't like the way it does grouping all that much either.  Maybe
>> > I need to better grok activities/etc.
>>
>> Heh heh:-) I have that problem too. I forced myself to close tabs
>> ruthlessly and rely on history. I now try and keep open only tabs I am
>> using, not also tabs I might use again.
>>
>> Activities looks like a good idea, but I can't get them to work and feel
>> right. Perhaps I should define what my activities actually mean to me
>> better, this is far from simple.
>
> I was meant to look into activities, so that I can explain it to some KDE
> users who also don't know what this is.  I vaguely recall understanding the
> concept in the past, but never tried it out.  Can you please explain in simple
> terms what it is and how it is meant to be used?

Well, the concept is that maybe you work from home using the same PC,
so you have a work activity and a home activity.  It is a bit like
virtual desktops on steroids as far as I can tell.

My problem is that I don't ever exclusively do just one thing at a
time.  I never really utilized virtual desktops much either for this
reason.  Maybe I'd benefit from forcing myself to do it more, but...

--
Rich