Hi Gentoo-users,

after playing with PAM for a few days I discovered one strange
thing: PAM adds ".db" suffix to database definition on its own!
What I mean is following:
_____________________

more /etc/pam.d/postfix
auth    required  pam_userdb.so  db=/etc/postfix/virtual_users.db
account required  pam_userdb.so  db=/etc/postfix/virtual_users.db

ls -l /etc/postfix/virtual_users.db
-rw------- 1 root root 12288 Aug 20 18:45 /etc/postfix/virtual_users.db

testsaslauthd -u user1 -p password1 -s postfix
0: NO "authentication failed"

tail -n1 saslauth.log
saslauthd: pam_userdb(postfix:auth): user_lookup: could not open
database '/etc/postfix/virtual_users.db': no such file or directory
______________________

Then I changed /etc/pam.d/postfix to:

auth    required  pam_userdb.so  db=/etc/postfix/virtual_users
account required  pam_userdb.so  db=/etc/postfix/virtual_users

And now everything works. But there is no /etc/postfix/virtual_users
file, only /etc/postfix/virtual_users.db!

So it seems to me PAM adds ".db" to database-definition itself
and user has to define it without ".db", otherwise what PAM is
actually looking for is /etc/postfix/virtual_users.db.db

Is this normal? Never seen this "Windows-like" behaviour with
auto-adding suffix in *nix world. And I did not find anything
about it in PAM-documentation. It says just:

pam_userdb.so db=/path/database

Not a single word that user has to cut ".db" suffix from
"database" off. If all this is feature and not bug, then it
should definitely be mentioned somewhere...

Jarry