On 24-Aug-14 17:44, Alan McKinnon wrote:
Consult Google and find out more about postfix's postmaps with
particular reference to how it's done if you use db files from sleepycat

This has nothing to do with postfix, I used it just as
an example. I had the very same problem with ftp.

My Postfix uses cyrus-sasl for smtp-authentification,
and cyrus-sasl in my example uses pam with user-db.

Problem is PAM configuration, which must contain:
db=/etc/postfix/virtual_users (without ".db")

But real user database is in:
/etc/postfix/virtual_users.db

This I find very strange...

It's unusual, but it's also the way it is. Why are you so concerned?

You edit the file without extension and create a db file with .db
extension which the software uses. Perhaps not 100% what you were
expecting but if that's how the bits of software are written, what's the
problem?

I see two problems:

1. pam-docs says nothing about it (or it is so deep I did not find
it). If the user-db file is /etc/postfix/virtual_users.db then how
in the hell should user know he must write:

db=/etc/postfix/virtual_users

in pam-config file and not:

db=/etc/postfix/virtual_users.db
???

2. error-log is very misleading. It says
'/etc/postfix/virtual_users.db': no such file or directory
while in fact pam was looking for '/etc/postfix/virtual_users.db.db'.

Jarry