On 2 September 2014 09:00, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Neil Bothwick wrote:

>>> I don't know if it matters or not but on one of my sticks, I get this:
>>>
>>> Device    Boot Start       End  Blocks  Id System
>>> /dev/sde1 *        1   3915775 1957887+  c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
>>>
>>> Mine is FAT32 where yours is NTFS.  Could that difference cause this
>>> problem?
>> No, it's just fdisk trying to guess the type of a filesystem that isn't
>> actually there. I've just run it over 7 distro ISOs and got "Hidden
>> HPFS/NTFS" for 5 of them.
>
> Well, it seems everyone is grasping at straws.  So far, that is the only
> difference I have seen.  It's a head scratcher for sure.
>
> Dale

There's some more straws to grasp, namely the partition table that the
OP created with fdisk, as well as the first partition on it:

Assuming the USB is still on /dev/sdb, then use fdisk to delete
partition /dev/sdb1.

Then manually delete the USB DOS partition table:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=1

Finally, reinstall the iso once more without creating any partitions manually:

dd if=/home/joseph/Downloads/install-amd64-minimal-20140828.iso of=/dev/sdb

sync

NOTE: Make sure that /dev/sdb is indeed your USB stick or you'll cause damage
to whatever is on /dev/sdb.

--
Regards,
Mick