>> I just checked and I'm using BIOS version F2 which is the latest
>> available.  My hardware revision is v1.1.  It sounds like I may be out
>> of luck.  The device does have a SATA3 port but I was hoping not to
>> cram an entire 2.5" SSD in there to cut down on heat since it's
>> fanless.  Do I have any other options?
>>
>> - Grant
>>

> Is it possible that the device is DOA? Can you check it on another
> laptop (or another device with the mini-PCIe slot?
>
> Alternatively maybe an adapter can be acquired to test it on a regular
> PC. Maybe a USB -> PCIe mSata bridge adapter exists?
>
> I have had DOA RAM and such before, although not on a SSD.

I've been researching this a lot today and I think there is an
incompatibility between the Gigabyte 2807 and any mini-PCIe SSD.  Most
of those little SSDs are mSATA (although mine is PATA) and mSATA ports
are physically compatible with mini-PCIe but not electrically
compatible.  I could get a SATA to mSATA adapter and connect via my
SATA port, but even if the mSATA drive is then recognized, it is
unlikely that I would be able to boot from it.  I think this leaves me
with a full SATA SSD as the only option which is fine.  The Gigabyte
2807 is designed to work with them and even includes a bracket and
cable.  Surprisingly, my research has lead me to believe that an mSATA
SSD may actually generate more heat than a SATA SSD.

- Grant