On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 2:30 PM, James <wirel...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> So, since I'm only hacking at ebuilds for my own needs (currently
> not able to produce anything that is not embarrashing) can I
> start building ebuilds that use EAPI-6? I understand that it
> is not finalized yet. But, if the user supplied patching is
> at least workable, I'd rather get busy learning/testing those new
> EAPI-6 tricks.

User patching already exists, but ebuilds have to support it for it to
work by calling epatch_user during src_prepare().  EAPI6 will make
calling this mandatory, and will put it in the default phase function.
So, 100% of EAPI6 ebuilds will support it, though many ebuilds already
support it otherwise.

All you need to do is add epatch_user to src_prepare in an existing
ebuild to use it.  If you want to patch the build system you'll also
need to make calls to autotools/etc as needed after calling
epatch_user.

--
Rich