On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 10:56 PM, walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/28/2014 01:44 AM, Jorge Almeida wrote:
>> I'm having a somewhat disgusting issue on my Gentoo: binaries are
>> unaccountably large.
>>

> Are you cross-compiling for different hardware?  I'm just curious what results
> you get with --march=native.

Nope. Actually, I compiled with --march=native, with no difference
(probably because my code is not fancy enough to make use of whatever
stuff that pulls), but then tried i686 just to enable comparing with
non-Gentoo systems.
The purpose is to have small static binaries compiled against dietlibc
to be used in the same computer (compile once and forget about future
software incompatibilities!). I compiled against glibc to make sure
the problem is not with dietlibc.

> Also, I looked up data-sections and function-sections (which I'd never heard
> of before today :)  The gcc man page says the resulting executable will be
> larger and slower, and not to use them "unless there are significant benefits"
> but then doesn't say what those benefits might be. Hm, cryptic.

I found those flags in the net (probably StackOverflow), looking for
ways to optimize size. Maybe what you read was not meant to static
compiling?
Anyway, I used these flags in 4 systems (including LFS in the same
computer as Gentoo) and only the Gentoo system has this behaviour...

Thanks,

Jorge